Department of Chemistry, Sibsagar College is a premier department of the college which was established in 1956. Present Departmental building of Chemistry department, Sibsagar College bears a glorious history of the College. Late Parag Chaliha the main architect of the college collected a huge donation from businessman to daily wage holders for the development of the College. On his request Tantia Brothers of Kolkata donated a new building christened “TANTIA VIGYAN MANDIR”in 1956. The Science stream of Sibsagar College was first started in this building with 46 numbers of students. In B.Sc. Honours course in Chemistry was started in 1966. Sri Hem Chetia was the first Chemistry Honours graduate of Sibsagar College(1969). The original Science building namely “TANTIA VIGYAN MANDIR” with extension became the independent departmental building of the Chemistry Department. Now, it is one of the Star Departments under DBT-Star College scheme.
The main objective of the Department of Chemistry, Sibsagar College isto educate the students about the Chemical Science, its importance and usefulness in day to day life so that students may successfully pursue under graduate studies in Chemistry and begin careers as professional chemist.
As a part of this glorious institution, Department of Chemistry has been achieving its goals successfully since its inception with its.......
VISION:To make our students educationally superior and ethically strong by developing and inspiring
their true potential.
MISSION: The Chemistry department is committed to help each student to achieve his/her personal,
social, academic potential by creating an environment that promotes –
Frequent triangular interactions faculty, students and parents.
Independent thought, collegial exchange of ideas and high ethical standards.
Development of innovative instructional techniques .
Use of modern educational technology in lecture.
UG: B.Sc (Honours)
PG: M.Sc (Chemistry)